Notes


Matches 551 to 600 of 1,203

      «Prev «1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
551 Estimated Birthdate Beam, John P (I18859)
 
552 Estimated Death Date Beam, John (I25535)
 
553 Evergreen Cemetery Barkey, James Ralston (I11736)
 
554 Evergreen Cemetery Belle, Anna Dora (I16537)
 
555 Evergreen Cemetery Barkey, James F (I16538)
 
556 Evergreen Cemetery, Blenheim, Kent Co., Ontario Putnam, Asaph E. (I29054)
 
557 Fairview Cemetery North, Antrim County, Michigan Mavety, William (I29281)
 
558 Family remaining in England did not live long after relatives left for America Webley, Mary (I10020)
 
559 Family Tree Book: Relatives of General William Alexander Smith and of W Thomas Smith "There is an old proverb and a true one: "Birds of a feather, flock together," exemplified in the union with his wife, Nellie Carolina Johnson. She is the daughter of John A. Johnson and Sarah Elizabeth Mitchel, daughter of Joseph Mitchel and Rebecca Ann Eathforth, daughter of William Eathforth and Rebecca Preston Cornell, daughter of Captain Joseph Cornell and Roxana Preston, son of Thomas Cornell and Susannah Lawton. This Thomas Cornell was the son of Thomas Cornell and Rebecca Briggs. Thomas Cornell and his wife, Rebecca Briggs, were the grandparents of Ezra Cornell, founder of Cornell University. Ezra Cornell's son, Alonzo Cornell, was the twenty-fifth Governor of New York. The Cornell family came to Boston, America, from the County of Essex, England, 1638. They moved to Portsmouth, R. I. in 1640. The old home is still in the family. It is now owned by Rev. John Cornell, Minister of the P. E. Church Diocese of Rhode Island. " DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM CORNWALL, THOMAS CORNWALL OF RHODE ISLAND.(*) Whether or not this Thomas Cornwall was a relative of William Cornwall of Middletown we have no means of positively ascertaining. Their arrival at about the same time in Boston, the similarity in the names of their children and the probable fact that they came from adjoining counties in England suggest a relationship; and the fact that this Thomas Cornwall went to the New Netherlands the year after the other Thomas, the probable brother of William, was married there, may also have a bearing on the relationship. The earliest account which we have of this Thomas Cornwall in America is found in the town records of Boston, Mass., under date of August 20, 1638: "At a meeting this day there is license granted to Mr. Thomas Cornnell for the buying of our brother Wilyam Balstone's house and to become an inhabitant of this town." He was allowed to keep a tavern in this house "on trial," but in the next year, June 6, 1639, he was fined ś30 for "selling wine without a license and beer at 2d. per quart"; but he was "abated ś10 of the fine, and allowed a month to sell of his beare wch is upon his hands, and then to cease from keeping intertainment, and the town to provide another." In 1640 "Mr. Cornewell" sold the house in Boston, which he had bought of William Balstone, to Edward Tynge, and removed to Portsmouth, R. I. August 6, 1640, "Thomas Cornil" was made a freeman in Rhode Island. In 1643 he went with Mr. Throckmorton's company to the New Netherlands, and settled at Throgg's Neck. This English company was said by John Winthrop to have "cast off churches and ordinances, and for larger accommodation subjected themselves to the Dutch." While he was at Throgg's Neck the settlement was attacked by hostile Indians, who "killed such (*)To the Reverend John Cornell of Washington, D. C., who is compiling a genealogical history of the family of Thomas Cornwall of Rhode Island, the present writer is greatly indebted for assistance in preparing the brief account of the early generations of this family given in this article. Page 158 of Mr. Throckmorton's and Mr. Cornhill's families as were at home." In 1646 "Thomas Coornel" received a grant of 700 acres of land in Westchester, N. Y., from the Dutch Government, which was afterwards occupied by some of his descendants. He soon after returned to Portsmouth, R. I., where he received a grant of 160 acres of land, Feb. 14, 1647. He died in Rhode Island in 1656. He was born about 1595 in Essex, England. That Essex was his place of origin is an inference from the fact that in the record of his daughter Sarah's marriage in New Amsterdam in 1646 she is called "of Essex in England." Cornell, Thomas (I2549)
 
560 Family Trees Beam, Elizabeth (I18856)
 
561 Family Trees Beam, Mary Alice (I18857)
 
562 Family Trees Beam, John P (I18859)
 
563 Famine Irish Entry Project, 1846-1851. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. Source (S68)
 
564 Ferncliff cemetery Chain, Margaret E. (I3633)
 
565 Fighter pilot shot done Sweeney, Walter Leroy (I26448)
 
566 Filby, P. William, ed. <i>Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s</i>. Farmington Hills, MI, USA: Gale Research, 2012. Source (S102)
 
567 Find A Grave. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi: accessed 1 February 2013. Source (S74)
 
568 first child born in Narragansett after the Indian War Watson, John (I28510)
 
569 Five of her children died in infancy. More About ANN WEBLEY: Burial: banks of river in St. Louis Emigrated: April 1849, ship "Ashland" to New Orleans Ships List #200161 Spelling: Webly in other records "Pioneers & Prominent Men of Utah" Five of her children died in infancy. More About ANN WEBLEY: Burial: banks of river in St. Louis Emigrated: April 1849, ship "Ashland" to New Orleans Ships List #200161 Spelling: Webly in other records "Pioneers & Prominent Men of Utah"

Ann was the wife of Joseph Westwood, and the mother of 20 (or more) children. Joseph Westwood was one of thousands who came to America in 1849 with his family, seeking gold, intending to make his way west to California to find a better life for himself, his pregnant wife Ann, and his children. Tragedy was what befell the family as described in this excerpt from "Westwood History":

Excerpt from Westwood History, Pg 219.

"Joseph sold all his property and with his family and a boy friend of Hannah's boarded a sail boat at Liverpool. Now we heard that there were other Saints* on the boat. They arrived in New Orleans the 20 April (1849) and boarded the boat called THE CONSTITUTION to go up the Mississippi to St. Louis where many of the Saints landed. About a day out of St. Louis, Joseph left the boat to get bread, and the boat pulled out and left him. Phillip** tried to get the skipper to go back and pick him up but he wouldn't. He (Joseph) looked quite forlorn standing there as the boat pulled out. Hannah said in her letter she was feeling sorry for him too. He came to where they were the next night. Phillip's wife took sick and when they arrived near Cairo, IL, she died. The boat stopped at Cairo. Elizabeth Wilks, Phillip's (Westwood) wife, was buried the next night. She died 26 April 1849 and was buried the 27 of April. Hannah said it was a sad funeral. She said when her father Joseph arrived there were several dead on his boat. She thought that was how he contracted the cholera which was bad at that time. He got sick and so did his wife Ann. She gave birth to a baby girl on the lst of May and it died the 4th. Joseph died the 3rd of May and his wife died the 6th of May. The boat was put in quarantine and the bodies were all buried on the bank of the Mississippi River at St. Louis."

Joseph and his wife Ann Webley had around 20 children, all of them except the baby girl who was born in St. Louis (and dying soon afterward), were born in England. Only about a third of their children/babies survived to adulthood, including Phillip, David, Hannah, Mercy, Richard, and Temperance. (The person described as Hannah's boyfriend was William Bayless whom Hannah married in May 20, 1849. Hannah had a second husband, Seth Smith, whom she married in December 11,1860 in Missouri. Hannah died in 1918 in Chetopa, Labette, Kansas).
 
Webley, Mary Ann (I10019)
 
570 For a short period in the autumn of 1040 following the sudden death (murder?) of Count Alan of Brittany, Gilbert was chief tutor to the young William the Conqueror. Died in 1040, said to have been murdered by his cousin, Ralph of Gacé Gilbert or Giselbert "Crispin", (b 1000 - d. 1040) was a Norman noble, Count of Eu, and Count of Brionne in northern France. Contents 1 Parentage 2 Life 3 Death 4 Children 5 Reference Parentage The reference listed below states he was the son of Geoffrey, Count of Eu (b. 962) who was an illegitimate child of Richard the Fearless. Some sources say Gislebert was the son of Godfrey of Brionne and Eu, others that he was the son of Gilbert, Baron of Bec. Still others claim that his father was Crispin de Bec (b. 940). Gislebert's mother was apparently Haloise de Guînes (b. 942). Life Whatever his parentage, he inherited Brionne, becoming one of the most powerful landowners in Normandy. He married Gunnora d'Aunou (Gunmore d'Ainon) in 1012. He had children by his wife and a mistress. The name "Crispin" is said to have referred to the family's erect curly hair. Gislebert was a generous benefactor to Bec Abbey founded by his former knight Herluin in 1031. When Robert I, Duke of Normandy died in 1035 his illegitimate son William inherited his father's title. Several leading Normans, including Gilbert of Brionne, Osbern the Seneschal and Alan of Brittany, became William's guardians. Death A number of Norman barons including Raoul de Gacé would not accept an illegitimate son as their leader. In 1040 an attempt was made to kill William but the plot failed. Gilbert however was murdered while he was peaceably riding near Eschafour. It is believed two of his killers were Ralph of Wacy and Robert de Vitot. This appears to have been an act of vengeance for wrongs inflicted upon the orphan children of Giroie by Gilbert, and it is not clear what Raoul de Gacé had to do in the business. Fearing they might meet their father's fate, his sons Richard and his brother Baldwin were conveyed by their friends to the court of Baldwin, Count of Flanders Of Brionne And Eu, C of Brionne Gilbert Cripsin (I17123)
 
571 Found a Barkey had changed his name from Berkhiser Looking for other names similiar Berkihiser, Unknown (I28694)
 
572 Founders Cemetery (Post Gager Burial Ground), Norwich, New London, Connecticut, USA Smith, Reverend Rev. Nehemiah (I7652)
 
573 Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920. (NARA microfilm publication T625, 2076 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: <a href="http://www.archives.gov/publications/microfilm-catalogs/census/1920/part-07.html" target="_blank">NARA</a>. Note: Enumeration Districts 819-839 are on roll 323 (Chicago City). Source (S236)
 
574 Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920. (NARA microfilm publication T625, 2076 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA. Note: Enumeration Districts 819-839 are on roll 323 (Chicago City). Source (S78)
 
575 Frank Watt Tyler. <i>The Tyler Collection</i>. Canterbury, Kent, England: The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies. Source (S198)
 
576 Frederick was a Corporal in the 208th Regiment, Company F, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (Civil War). He was killed at Fort Stedman on March 25, 1865. Frederick also served as a private with the 177th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company F.

Family links:
Spouse:
Sarah E. Rice Shull (1837 - 1921)

Inscription:
"Born Again & United with the German Reformed Church 7 Apr 1850. Ordained & installed a deacon 24 Aug 1862. 16 Oct 1862, drafted & served 9 months in U.S. Army. 6 Sep 1864 volunteered in Co. F., 208 Regt. P.V. In driving rebels from Fort Stedman fell a martyr." 
Shull, Frederick (I11836)
 
577 Freedom, Phillip, Kansas Morton, Elton (I27319)
 
578 From "1905 Past and Present of Greene County Illinois" Page 511 JAMES A. McPHERON, a well known florist of Carrollton, was born in Tennessee, on the 8th of February, 1826. His parents were Amos and Hettie (Morris) McPheron. The father was born in Knox county, Tennessee, December 12, 1797, while the mother's birth occurred in Virginia. The paternal grandfather was William McPheron, but it is not definitely known whether he was born in the north of Ireland, where lived the ancestors of the family, or in Virginia, but it is certain that the family was established in America in colonial days. The grandfather became a planter in Tennessee and resided for many years in that state. In 1829 the father removed to Morgan county, Illinois and in the winter of 1830-31 he came to this county, where he entered a tract of land from the government, his farm being located seven miles east of Carrollton in Linder township. With characteristic energy he began transforming the wild land into a cultivable tract and continued its further improvement and development throughout the remainder of his active business career. He also resided upon that place until 1889, when he was called to his final rest in his ninety-second year. He was a good citizen and a lover of home-a man who was respected by all who knew him. In his family were three children when he came to Illinois and seven were added to the household after the arrival in Greene county. James A. McPheron, the third in order of birth, spent his early boyhood days in Linder township, being reared amid the wild scenes of frontier life and sharing with the family in all the hardships and trials incident to a pioneer existence. He early gained practical knowledge of the best methods of developing and cultivating new land and he continued to assist in the operation of the home farm until his marriage, which occurred on the 4th of November, 1847, the lady of his choice being Miss Amanda C. Cato, also a native of Tennessee. Her father, George E. Cato, was one of the pioneer residents of Greene county and continued to reside within these borders up to the time of his demise. Unto Mr. and Mrs. McPheron have been born six children: Edwin Newton, who is now engaged in the jewelry business in Greenfield, Illinois; Ella, the wife of John Scruby, of Roodhouse; Annie E., the deceased wife of Leverett Loomis; Laura, who married John Clough; Robert A., who is now living in Litchfield, Illinois; and J. Clint, who resides on the homestead farm and married Miss Edna Hunt, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. James McPheron resided in Linder township from 1847 until 1858, when he sold his property there and removed to Carrollton. In 1860 he came to his present place south of the city, the land being now within the corporation limits of Carrollton. Here he and his son are engaged extensively in the raising of fruit, vegetables and flowers. They have secured a large trade, placing upon the market excellent products in these various lines and their honorable business methods have secured to them a large and gratifying patronage. Mr. McPheron's life has passed uneventfully, but has been characterized by the full performance of the duties that have devolved upon him. He has taken an active part in church work and for twenty-five years was superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday-school. In matters of citizenship he is also loyal and his family and friends recognize in him the possession of many admirable traits of character. McPheron, James Ashbury (I15500)
 
579 from family information & Penn Yan Democrat 24JAN1902: BEACH-in Dundee, January 17, 1902, Mrs Charles Beach, aged 50 years. www.yatescounty.org/upload/12/historian/1902vr.htm Beach Mrs Charles D D 1902 Jan 24 (24 Jan is the issue date of the paper) Haskins, Nellie (Helen?) (I18664)
 
580 From injuries recieved in a joust Montagu, 1st Earl of Salisbury William (I13147)
 
581 From Report of Adjutant General:

Sergeant
Company G (Albion, N.Y.)
28th N.Y. Volunteer Infantry
"Niagara Rifles"
COL. Dudley Donnelly, Commanding Officer
CPT. Alfred B. Judd, Company Commander

Enlisted at age 26 on 03MAY1861 at Albion, N.Y. to serve two (2) years. Mustered in as Private, Co. G, 22MAY1861. Enlistment papers incorrectly spell the last name as "Curren".

Promoted to Corporal, 22FEB1862.

Captured (POW): 09AUG1862 at Culpeper, V.A. This was The Battle of Cedar Mountain, V.A. and where the 28th faced the heaviest loss of men during the war:
46 Enlisted Killed
65 Enlisted Wounded, 9 would die from wounds.
1 Officer Killed (COL. Donnelly)
92 Enlisted men Missing / Captured

Paroled: 11SEP1862 at City Point, V.A.
Five (5) days later would be The Battle of Antietam, M.D.

Promoted to Sergeant, 07DEC1862.

The Battle of Chancellorsville, V.A. would be this unit's final battle of the war.
01-03MAY1863

Mustered out with Company G on 02JUN1863 at Albany, N.Y.
COL. Edwin F. Brown, Commanding Officer

Died at age 36. Farm Laborer in Hartland, N.Y. at time of death.

D.W. Whitney was contracted to manufacture this stone on 29NOV1879 and place it at Lot 127.

Member:
G.A.R. Post 114
Curtis-Bates
Albion, N.Y. 
Curran, John P. (I16329)
 
582 From the "History of the First Congregational Church of Stonington, Connecticut,1674-1874.with the report of the Bi-Centennial Proceedings, June3,1874. with Appendix containing Statistics of the Church" by Richard Wheeler, published T.H. Davis and Company 1875.THOMAS WHEELERHe was born in 1602, and came to this country in 1635, and located himself in the town of Lynn, Massachusetts. He was made a freeman by the Massachusetts General Court in 1642. He continued to reside in Massachusetts until 1664, when he came to this town, bringing one son and two daughters with him.He had large tracts of land given him by the town of Stonington, and made large purchases until he became the largest landholder in the township. He took an active part in organizing the "town platt" and laying out the ministry land, and in building the new meeting house on Agreement Hill; participated in the organization of the Church, and became a consistent and honored member thereof. He was admitted a freeman by the Connecticut General Court in 1669, and was elected deputy and selectman, and held other town offices. His homestead place was situated where the late George C. Brown lived in North Stonington. HISTORY OF STONINGTON CT, by Richard Anson Wheeler, page 636. First appears in Lynn MA in 1635, where he was elected constable, and held other offical positions later on. In 1642 He was admitted as freeman of the commonwealth of MA, purchasing large tracts of land there, including a mill site, upon which he built and opperated a saw and grist mill. Thomas sold out his business and real estate there, and removed to Stonington in 1667. He was an intimate friend of Rev. James Noyes. Freeman of CT in 1669. and was nominated and elected one of the Stonington reps. to the CT General CT in 1673. 1674 his name appears among the immortal nine who organixed the First Congregational Church of Stonington, June 3, 1674. Built a residence in North Stonington, where Col. James F. Brown now resides, where they lived and died. ANCESTORS OF ALDEN SMITH SWAN AND HIS WIFE MARY ALTHEA FARWELL, by Josephine C. Frost, The Hills Press, New York, MCMXXIII, page 229. Thomas appeared as a resident of Lynn, MA, in 1635, when he was elected Constable there, and later held other offical positions. In 1642 he was admitted to the privilege of a freeman of the Commonwealth and purchased large tracts of land, including a mill site, upon which he built and poerated a saw and grist mill. During his residence in Lynn he married Mary, whose maiden name is not known. They were married in 1645 and prior to 1667 he disposed of his holdings in Lynn and removed to Stonington, CT. He was made freeman of CT in 1669 and represented Stonington in the General Court in 1673. In 1674 he was one of the nine men who organized the First congresational Church, and his wife Mary was one of the partakers of the first communion service. They built their home in North Stonington, where Col. James F. Brown resided in 1900, and they lived and died there. His will was burned when the traitor Arnold burned the city of New London in 1781. He died March 6, 1686, aged 84 years, and he and his wife are buried in the old Whitehall burial place on the east bank of the Mystic River. He served in King Philip's War and was Captain of a Company of Horse in 1669.THE WHEELER FAMILY IN AMERICA,THE DESCENDANTS OF THOMAS WHEELER, STONINGTON, CONN., pages 289 through 349, by Inez E. Coolby-Brayton, 1934. Located in the DAR Library, Washington, DC. The following from the HISTORY OF STONINGTON, CONN., by Judge Richard Anson Wheeler is, perhaps, the best experssion of all that is known of his life. "Thomas Wheeler, the ancestor of the Wheeler family of Stonington, Conn., and region round about, was doubtless of English origin, but the place of his birth, and nationality are not certainly known, nor has the time of his migration to this country been ascertained, so as to associate him with any of the passengers of the early emigrant ships. The first knowledge that we have of him in this country is when he appears as a resident of the town of Lynn, Mass., in 1635, when and where he was elected constable, and held other official positions later on. In 1642 he was admitted in the privilege of a freeman of the commonwealth of Mass., purchasing large tracts of land there, including a mill site, upon which he built and operated a saw and grist mill. During his residence in Lynn he married Mary ____, a young lady of his acquaintance, whose family name in unknown, but our family traditions represent her as a woman of pleasing and attractive accomplishments, and in every way worthy of her liege loard; she graced her domestic duties with cheerful loveliness, filling his home with light and love. They were married in 1645, and became the parents of three children. What induced our ancestor, Thomas Wheeler, to leave Lynn, Mass., and sell out his business and real estate there, and take up his abode in the town of Stonington in 1667, is not fully understood, but whatever motive actuated him in coming this way it is plainly evident that he intended to make Stonington his final home. He was an intimate friend of Rev. James Noyes, who came to Stonington the same year that he did, and it has been supposed that the friendship between them was the cause of his coming. But that as it may, there were men of his name that lived in the English home of the Noyes family, and crossed the ocean about the same year that he did. Thomas Wheeler was made freeman in the Connecticut Colony in the year 1669, and was nominated and elected one of the Stonington representatives to the Connecticut General Court in the year 1673. The next year his name appears among the immorial nine who organized the First Congregational Church of Stonington, June 3, 1674, and his wife, Mary Wheeler, was one of the partakers with the church in their first communion service. Soon after Thomas Wheeler and his wife came to Stonington to live, he and his son Isaac built them a residence in North Stonington, where Col. James F. Brown now resides, where they lived and died. Thomas Wheeler left a will, which was lost by being burned when the infamous Arnold burned the city of New London, Sept. 6, 1781. The existence of his will is proved by his descendants referring in it in later instruments conveying the real estate that belonged to him and given to them in his will. They are both buried in the old Whitehall burial place, situated on the east bank of the Mystic river. He died March 6, 1686, age 84 years, consequently he was born 1602. Sources: "Fifty Great Migration Colonists to New England and Their Origins" (1990) by John Brooks Threlfall; BET; N.E. Marriages Prior to 1700; National Society of the Daughters of American Colonists Lineage Books, Vol 4 and Supplement 1; Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut, Vol. III; Headstone Inscriptions of Stonington; History of the First Congregational Church of Stonington, Conn; History of the Town of Stonington; Pioneers of Massachusetts; Saturday's Children--A History of the Babcock Family in America by C. Merton Babcock; Founders of Early American Families; History of Essex County, Mass., compiled by D. Hamilton Hurd; History of Lynn, Mass., by Alonzo Lewis and James R. Newhall.; The Great Migration, 1634-1635, p191, 192, 256. Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut, Vol. III, and Boston Transcript say he was the father of Elizabeth Wheeler. Pioneers of MA: "Thomas Wheeler, miller, yeoman, Salem, worked on the bridge in 1646; propr. 1647. Removed to Lynn and with wife, Mary, sold Lynn land in 1657. He `deposed' in 1653, age about 50 years." This sounds like it could be the right Thomas since Elizabeth's children were born in Lynn, according to first source. So she could have lived there. Pioneers of Mass., however, says children were Isaac and Zipporah. New England Marriages Prior to 1700 lists a Thomas Wheeler (1603, 1606-1686) marrying a Mary _________. Two children born in 1646 and 1648. Lived in "Lynn?/Salem?/ Stonington, CT." 1603 birth date and places of residence jibe with above info. Nat'l Soc. of Daughters of Am. Colonists Lineage Books, Vol. 4 & Supplement 1, say he was born in 1602. Latter says he was of Lynn, Mass., and Stonington, Conn.; was a representative to the General Court, served in the colonial militia, and married in 1645. Former says he a representative to the General Court from Stonington in 1673. Vol. 18 says he was constable of Lynn in 1635. History of the Town of Stonington: He first appeared in New England in Lynn, Mass., in 1635. Served as constable and later held other officialpositions. Freeman in 1642. Purchased large tracts of land and built and operated a grist mill. Met and married his wife Mary while living in Lynn. Sold his property and moved to Stonington in 1667. He was an intimate friend of Rev. James Noyes, who moved to Stonington the same year, and that may have been the reason Thomas left Massachusetts. Also, Wheeler men had lived in the English home of the Noyes family and crossed the ocean about the same year that he did. Freeman in Connecticut in 1669 and a representative to the General Court in 1673. Among nine men who organized the First Congregational Church of Stonington June 3, 1674. He left a will, but it was lost when Benedict Arnold burned New London Sept. 6, 1781; The Great Migration, 1634-1635, pages 191, 192, 256. History of the 1st Congregational Church of Stonington, film 547,548: He was among those who began the Church of Christ in Stonington 3 June 1674. Mrs. Thomas Wheeler was among the "Pertakers" at the ordination of Rev. James Noyes 10 Sept. 1674. Wheeler, Thomas (I13764)
 
583 From the Sheridan Press: Mr. and Mrs. S.L. Church departed on Monday's train for Spokane and Lewiston where they go to look up a new business location. Mr. Church lately disposed of his interest in the grocery business at this place to his brother. We are sorry to lose Mr. Church and his wife from our midst but wish them success where ever they may decide to locate. Church, Solomon L (I16889)
 
584 Funeral services were held Nov 4 for Ruth P. Bell, nee Prestage, a life-long resident of Bedford. Mrs. Bell, 91, died Oct.31 at Community Hospital of Bedford. Mrs. Bell was a retired school teacher of both Bedford and Maple Heights school districts. She was a member of the Bedford Christian Church, of the Bedford Garden Club, the Bedford Historical Society and the Bedford Order of the Eastern Star.
She married Ralph W. Bell in 1920; they celebrated their 65th Wedding Anniversary in August, 1965.

Mrs. Bell was the wife of the late Ralph W., mother of Richard G.(Evalyn C.) of Winston-Salem, N.C., and Ralph W.(Jeannette B.) of Concord, grandmother of six and great-grandmother of five, sister of Dorothy Titterington and the late Sterling C. Prestage.
( The Prestage family home was near the corner of Glendale & Main St.(now Broadway), Bedford, Ohio.) 
Prestage, Ruth (I27577)
 
585 Gabriel Drouin, comp, Drouin Collection, Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Institut Généalogique Drouin Source (S14)
 
586 Gabriel Drouin, comp. <i>Drouin Collection</i>. Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Institut Généalogique Drouin. Source (S251)
 
587 Gage Cemetery, Ferrisburgh, Addison, Vermont, United States Davis, Mary (I13672)
 
588 Gage Cemetery, Ferrisburgh, Addison, Vermont, United States Davis, Daniel (I29181)
 
589 Gage Cemetery, Ferrisburgh, Addison, Vermont, United States Nin, Mrs. Mary (I29182)
 
590 Genealogical Society of Utah, British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd Edition, Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, copyright 2002 Source (S42)
 
591 Genealogical Society of Utah. <i>British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd Edition</i>. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, copyright 2002. Used by permission. Source (S232)
 
592 General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934, Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration Source (S31)
 
593 General Register Office, England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes, London, England: General Register Office Source (S29)
 
594 General Register Office. <i>England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes</i>. London, England: General Register Office. © Crown copyright. Published by permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Office for National Statistics. You must not copy on, transfer or reproduce records without the prior permission of ONS. Database Copyright © 1998-2003 Graham Hart, Ben Laurie, Camilla von Massenbach and David Mayall. Source (S260)
 
595 Geoffrey Fitz Peter, 1st Earl of Essex, (Piers de Lutegareshale), (b. ca. 1162), d. 1213, was a prominent part of the government of England during the reign of Richard I and John. The patronymic is sometimes rendered Fitz Piers. He was from a modest landowning family that had a tradition of service in mid-ranking posts under Henry II. Geoffrey's elder brother Simon was at various times sheriff of Northamptonshire, Buckinghamshire, and Bedfordshire. Geoffrey, too, got his start in this way, as sheriff of Northamptonshire for the last five years of Henry II's reign. Around this time Geoffrey married Beatrice de Say, daughter and eventual co-heiress of William de Say. He was the son of William de Say, 3rd Baron de Say, and Beatrice, sister of Geoffrey de Mandeville, 1st Earl of Essex. This connection with the Mandeville family was to prove unexpectedly important. In 1184 Geoffrey's father-in-law died, and he received a share of the de Say inheritance. When Richard I left on crusade, he appointed Geoffrey one of the five judges of the king's court, and thus a principal advisor to bishop Hugh of Durham, who was chief justiciar was one of the regents during the king's absence. Later that year, Geoffrey's wife's cousin William de Mandeville, 3rd Earl of Essex died, leaving no direct heirs. His inheritance was disputed between Geoffrey and his in-laws, and Geoffrey used his political influence to eventually obtain it for himself. On July 11, 1198 King Richard appointed Geoffrey 'Chief Justiciar', which at that time effectively made him the king's principal minister. He continued in this capacity after the accession of king John. On his coronation day the new king also recognized Geoffrey as Earl of Essex. Spouse: m. Beatrice de Say. m. Aveline, daughter of Roger de Clare, Earl of Hertford. Children of Beatrice: (note that his sons by this marriage took the de Mandeville surname) Geoffrey de Mandeville, 2nd Earl of Essex. William FitzGeoffrey de Mandeville, 3rd Earl of Essex. Henry, Dean of Wolverhampton. Maud Fitzgeoffrey, who married Henry de Bohun, 1st Earl of Hereford. Children of Aveline: John Fitzgeoffrey, Lord of Shere and Justiciar of Ireland. Cecily Fitzgeoffrey. Hawise Fitzgeoffrey. Geoffrey's first two sons died without issue. Apparently the earldom was associated with their mother's Mandeville heritage, for the earldom was inherited by the husband of their sister instead of their half-brother. [3] Fitzpiers, E of Essex Geoffrey (I3569)
 
596 George Curran,born 10 Nov 1840; died 14 Jun 1920, age 79y 7m 4d; Thos Curran, informant; buried 17 Jun 1920, Mt. Albion Cemetery Curran, George D (I5644)
 
597 George W. Baker. a well known resident of Altoona for many years died on the night of the 17th inst. at the home of his son John, in Logan township, Blair county. He was born in Ickesburg, Perry county, 74 years ago. His early life was spent at his home, where he received a common school education and learned the trade of a carpenter.

While still a young man he went ot Hollidaysburg, where he was engaged in his occupation, returning to his native home for a few years, where he taught school. He then went to Altoona and entered the employ of D. K. Ramey, whose foreman he afterward became and held the postiton for many years. From early life he had been a member of the Presbyterian church and at the time of his death was connected with the Third Church of Altoona. He was married in the year 1857 to Mary P. Barkey, to which union the following children were born; Mrs. Rebecca Feight of Roaring Springs; John of Logan township: Mrs. Harriet Miller, Mrs. Annie Grazier and Misses Jnnie and Clara at home. The funeral services were held at the home of his son, John, on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 conducted by Rev. J.E. Irvin: Inturment in Fairview Cemetery, Altoona, Blair Coutny, Pa. 
Baker, George W (I28693)
 
598 Georgetown Graduate, Gov't Atty Maloney, Frederick Joseph (I2084)
 
599 Gloucester Cathedral Edward, K of England Ii (I21126)
 
600 Godfrey Memorial Library, American Genealogical-Biographical Index, Middletown, CT, USA: Godfrey Memorial Library Source (S7)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25» Next»