Photos


Matches 1 to 1 of 1     » See Gallery

   

 #   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
1

In the pre World War One days fore the automobile dominated the landscape the blacksmith shop was a necessity in every town. They were the mechanic’s shop, tire center and fabrication shop as they kept the wagons and farm implements in working order as well as the horses shod. In this Rifle Blacksmith shop can be seen leaf springs for wagons and buggies, hundreds of horse shoes and metal bars for fabricating most any metal part needed in the day. Before downtown Rifle burned to the ground in the great 1902 fire, a blacksmith shop occupied the spot the 100 block of East 3rd where the Midland Building now stands. When the building was renovated in 2003, hundreds of old horse shoes were found buried in the basement.